Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Restaurant Re-creation - Roasted Beet & Arugula Salad

Hiya! So how's your week so far? Mine has been pretty great, but for some reason I've come down with a major case of writer's block. We've been super busy and I haven't had the opportunity to get creative in the kitchen and I think that's been part of my problem....or then again, maybe this is my problem hehe....

Pinned Image

Yesterday, while I was racking my brain on what I wanted to post about, I came across a post I wrote earlier in the Spring, but never posted because I suffered a technological snafu and lost my pictures. I promise I'll add in some pics next time I make this, but it is soooo good and this weather is perfect salad weather, so I thought it was a great time to share.....

...and while you're getting inspired to make this salad, I'm going to go find some inspiration of my own, so that I can share something awe-inspiring and wonderful later on in the week ;-)

Ciao for now!

********************************************************************************

Do you ever go to a restaurant and have something that is sooooo good that you want to run right home and recreate your own version?

That happened to me a while ago when my team at work went out for a co-worker's birthday lunch. Typically I don't like to order salads when we're out. I think it's because I feel jipped if everyone's eating a juicy burger and fries and all I have is a measley bowl of lettuce. However, on the rare occasion when I do order a salad, I am almost always thrilled and satisfied with my meal! This lunch ended up being one of those 'love it' experiences where I ordered a salad in sticking with my healthy eats plan and it was freakin' amazing! It was much, much better than some boring ol' burger and fries combo ;-)

 
Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
Serves 2 (entree-size salads)

The sweet beets combined with the bitterness of the arugula and the sweet tanginess of the dressing are a combo fit to tickle your tastebuds. Add a few crunchy walnut bits and my tried and true goat cheese and you have a salad for champions!

2 medium sized beets
2 tbsp olive oil
4 c of arugula
2 - 4 tbsp chopped walnuts
4 tbsp goat cheese
4 - 5 tbsp raspberry vinagrette

To roast beets:
Preheat your oven to 350. Cut the tops and bottoms off of your beets. Place the beets on a large sheet of tinfoil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the beets tightly in the tinfoil. Place the beets on a cookie sheet and put into the oven to roast. It takes approximately 45 minutes for the beets to roast.

Once the beets are roasted, remove from the oven and place them in your sink. Run cold water over the beets to cool them and the skins will literally peel right off! Slice the beets into 1/4 - 1/2" slices and set aside.

To fix your salad, place the arugula onto 2 dinner-size plates. Next spread the beets over the arugula. Sprinkle walnuts, goat cheese and drizzle the dressing over the entire thing.

Serve and enjoy!

I did a quick search on Pinterest, so I could at least tantalize your taste buds with a similar looking picture. This is exactly what the salad will look like!

Pinned Image

Healthy, satisfying and delicious!!!!!

Do you ever try to re-create your favourite restaurant dishes?

Where do you draw inspiration and creativity from when you have a "blockage"?

Enjoy your day,
Andrea
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment